Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Oh the Magic of Beef Bourguignonne!




So, the story is that I wanted to make something grande for my son's 21st birthday, last year. So, I tackled the famous Julia Child's recipe for Beef Bourguignonne  (Julia's spelling). It was a lot of work...for a novice. But, it was magnificent! 

This year, I wished to make something special for our guests on Christmas Eve...and so there was no question, and it was much easier, this time. I made a double batch-using two large roasts, thinking there would be leftovers for the next day, and served it with French bread. But, I am not exaggerating when I tell you that there was arguing over the last spoonful! 


I will not reiterate the recipe here, for it is very lengthy with many steps, 
and also it is not my own. 
But, I would encourage you to buy Julia's book 

I would not recommend using another version of this recipe, although many simplified can be found online; as there are steps required that provide a sometimes subtle, and sometimes great, difference in the depth and complexity of flavor.  Therefore, not only would I recommend reading her recipe, but also to read the chapters previous to the recipes so that you may understand things such as why the beef must be seared at a very high temperature, and have room for air to circulate around
 each piece so that it "sears" not steams, which is crucial to the tenderness of the meat.

Needless to say, this is our new Christmas Eve Dinner tradition. If you are looking for one of your own, I highly recommend this one.  

It will make you feel good to prepare a meal with a little investment, with also knowing it is made by many others around the world...
especially, the French! :) 

Here is to good food and to tradition! 
Happy Holidays to you and yours~ 
XOXO



  

No comments:

Post a Comment