Friday, November 30, 2012

Don't Make This Fabulous Chocolate Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting! But, Do What I Tell You :)




I was so tired yesterday, I took a short nap after watching the Nutcracker Ballet with Sophie. After dozing for about 30 minutes, I shot up with a sudden urge to bake a cake!  Without a recipe in hand, I just threw together some ingredients and ended up with this! 
It was almost perfect :) 


*Picture before frosting!* 

And it was much better, after I frosted it.  
SO DON'T MAKE THIS CAKE. BUT, DO MAKE THE CHANGES I RECOMMEND 
and you should come out with perfection! 

As you can see I made this in one large decorator cake pan.
 I would recommend, using the traditional 8 or 9" double pans.  

Then, I would frost the top and in between the layers.  
The cake is a semi-sweet chocolate, so it really needs the sweet and
cream cheese flavor of the frosting to make it a perfect balance.  

Recipe: 



3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
5 eggs
3 cups of sugar
1 cup heavy cream, half and half, or milk
1 Tbsp baking powder
12 oz butter (yes, 3 sticks!)
1 1/2 cups of good cocoa
1/2 bag of chocolate semi-sweet morsels
1 tsp vanilla extract

Blend all ingredients together in mixer. Pour into greased and cocoad pans (use cocoa instead of flour on chocolate recipes).  Bake for 50 minutes at 350Degrees, until a toothpick inserted in center, comes clean!
Cool completely, then frost.

Frosting: 
1 8 oz package cream cheese
1 stick softened butter
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp fresh squeezed juice from an orange, tangerine, or similar

Whip all together in mixer, until creamy. Frost cooled cake.

Enjoy!! 
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment